Tuesday, September 1, 2009

the beginnings of vietnam

Today, I finally have time to start the blog you've all been waiting for. After spending just 2 full days in Saigon aka Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam, I can already tell I'm in love with all things asian (not that I didn't fully already know this). I started off my journey with about 24 hours of traveling from Boston to San Francisco to Hong Kong and finally to HCMC. With an endless supply of tea and ramen noodles served by smiling chinese geisha flight attendants, my flights were much more enjoyable than I thought. However, upon landing in Hong Kong I was greeted by about 40 "Health Inspectors" attempting to catch H1N1 infiltrators. When it's 5:30 am, the airport is silent and you have a cough that sounds like a small lizard is living in your throat, things can get pretty scary. Needless to say, I was able to control myself, well, at least until I found safe-haven in the bathroom.

Finally, I made it to Saigon and was picked up by our tour guide Mr. Cong and some other people on the seminar. As I looked out my window onto the streets, Mr. Cong noted that the traffic was pretty light, because it was Sunday. Let's put it this way. There were literally-- and I am NOT exaggerating-- 10000000000000000000 people on motor bikes in the streets. And these were not just any old motor bikes. These were bikes with sofas attached to the back, motor bikes moving a small army of outdated desktop computers, and bikes bringing children to school (including a father giving a ride to his three year old son who was dangling off the front of the handle bars, naturally). MLIA.

No comments:

Post a Comment